Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Radiance of Soup



My mother has always made soup. And she never really had a recipe - maybe it was lentil soup with a ham bone and lots of vegetables, or turkey soup and vegetables after Thanksgiving. Now, when I return home, she usually has a bowl of soup ready for me no matter the time of day. It's almost as if the soup itself is saying, "Rest. Take a deep breath. I love you and want to nourish and restore you."

There is something so healing and soothing about soup to me.

If you think about it, soup is already somewhat digested, requiring less digestion energy for our bodies to absorb the nutrients it provides. Soup is an easy way to get a lot of warm fluids, vitamins, antioxidants and fiber in one meal.

I regularly make large batches of soups and freezer the rest, making it convenient and easy to thaw for a healthy meal.

Bone broths are super easy to make and give flavor and depth to soups. The broth from bones gives us healing proteins, minerals, collagen, bone marrow and fat. Bone broths support immune health, digestion, anti-aging, energy and overall health.

I especially like to make soups with vegetables from our garden or our CSA at Cane Creek Farm. From seed to plant to soup - how is it that one tiny miracle of seed can grow and end up nourishing our bodies (minds and souls, too)? It's fascinating to me, and makes the meal so much richer when I can trace ingredients back to its loving roots.

A hearty bowl of soup combined with homemade bread and/or a salad makes for a great meal - anytime of day. (Yes, I love having soup for breakfast.) Use different bowls and spoons, set a pretty table, slow down with loved ones, and enjoy a hearty bowl of soup!

I'd love to hear your favorite soup recipes. Here are a few of mine:

Cream of Spinach Soup - Mollie Katzen, The Moosewood Cookbook

Spicy Sausage and Chickpea Soup with Garlic Oil - Southern Living, October 2016

Smoky Pea Soup - Real Simple

Rooted and Whole,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment